Creating and maintaining high safety standards of critical data are concerns for almost all of us, especially followers of online shopping and online banking. In this blog, we would be reading about some easy yet effective ways on how to prevent hacking attacks on PCs. Read on!
In today’s web-dominated world, almost every one of us makes use of PC and Internet to reduce time and efforts and staying close to comfort and convenience. Things are easy and safe till the time we come to know that critical information stored on the PC has been hacked. Things can be restored but it is always better to play it safe from the start itself. Let us read about computer hacking and find some easy ways to protect your privacy and data.
Before we start reading about ways to prevent hacking, let us read about computer hacking so that all of us can be on the same knowledge platform.
Computer hacking is all about manipulating vulnerabilities of a computer by a hacker with an aim to invade privacy or steal or modify information. Most of us think that PCs at homes are safe but that is far from being true. Hacking can happen to any PC in this world and your PC is no exception.
Let us now read about good ways to prevent hacking at the first place.
Tips to prevent Computer Hacking
1. Install a good paid antivirus. You can install a free version to check its reliability but paid version has improved tools to prevent hacking and is therefore recommended. Moreover, update the antivirus on a daily basis and scan the PC, at least once a week
2. Turn ON the Firewall and allow your PC to install all critical patches from Microsoft by activating Automatic Updates and Windows Firewall found under Control Panel-Security Center.
3. Turn off sharing all your drives, especially where program files are usually stored, the C: / drive.
4. Delete temporary internet files. Enter PREFETCH in the RUN box and delete by pressing SHIFT+DEL. Follow the same deletion process by typing %TEMP%, also type TEMP in the RUN box after clearing prefetch and %TEMP%. Go to start, type run, and type (prefetch, %temp%, and temp, one by one).
5. Go to Control panel-Performance and Maintenance-System-Remote and UNCHECK the box “Allow remote invitations to be sent from this computer”, apply and then press OK. This will prevent hackers from gaining unauthorized access on your PC.
6. Always scan a USB drive, floppy, attachment, and CD before opening its contents. This may take some time but it is always better to be safe
7. Block pop-ups and do not click on misleading advertisements
8. Never clicks on URLs that redirect you to other sites, especially those mischievously claiming to be from your bank or card issuing authority
9. Do not disclose personal information by responding to emails suggesting that you just won a prize or lottery. If you have not participated, how come you won it? It is that simple
10. Do not click or open emails or attachments from unknown persons
11. Never install Kazaa, Napster, or new software from an unknown source
Follow these simple tips and you can easily protect your PC and critical information from getting hacked.
Tags: computer hacking, Hacking, how to prevent hacking attacks, online banking, Online Shopping, prevent hacking, protect your PC, ways to prevent hacking