Big rig trucking can be a great career. In fact, most of the supply chain solutions in North America involve big rig trucking at some point which means an abundance of opportunities in the transportation industry. If 18 wheels and the open road are calling to you, read on to discover if you have what it takes to make it as a big rig trucker.
- You like to drive. This might sound like a no-brainer but if you don’t like driving, this isn’t the career for you. Not only do you need to enjoy driving, you need to enjoy doing it for extremely long stretches. If you need to pull over frequently to take breaks, you might want to reconsider.
- You don’t mind being alone for long periods of time. Truckers do have partners sometimes but the majority of the time, you’re alone in your truck. Trucking is ideal for people who enjoy their own company and who are comfortable being alone.
- You have an abundance of patience. Trucking isn’t always terribly exciting. When you’re not on the road, you can spend long amounts of time waiting – for the truck to be unloaded, for a load to arrive or for unforeseen circumstances. You’ll find yourself waiting in traffic, at the loading dock or at truck stops. Make sure patience is one of your natural qualities.
- You are extremely safety oriented. Big rigs are not simply oversized trucks – they are heavy equipment, and should be respected and treated as such. Big rigs can easily get you killed or kill people around you in myriad ways so safety must always be top of mind. Your rig must always be in top shape, your load must always be safely secured and you must always drive in the safest manner possible. Lives, including your own, depend on it.
- You are in reasonably good shape. Trucking is an extremely physical job. For one thing, sitting and driving is only one part of the job. The rest of the time, you’re coupling and uncoupling trailers, climbing on the equipment to check it and ensure it’s safe, and you’re often moving freight. When you are driving, driving a big rig is physically demanding and requires a certain amount of endurance and stamina.
If you’ve got these traits – not to mention a great work ethic – then big rig truck driving just might be for you.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.